Ed Finnell wrote:
 > It's a configuration option in lSoft for bidirectional flow. We've
> talked about it numerous times in the past. Back in the late
> 90's when American .edu dropped usenet for lack of interest,
> personnel, budget Google was just starting up and started gating
> to the usenet groups. In their never ending search for
> eMail addresses also allowed subscription to their copies of
> the original lists. Darren found out early on that the Lsoft
> exits weren't sufficient for uunet protocol and had to turn off
> bidirectional posting. The 'true' newsgroup is hosted by newsguy.com(it's a
> subscription too). With the advent of the harvesting .bots and SPAMmers more
> and  more is intercepted and
> transmogrified in the lsoft exits.

i had done some mailing list stuff on the internal network
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internalnet

that predated toolsrun ... in fact, there is some folklore that toolsrun
somewhat came out as a result of a corporate task force that was formed
to investigate what was going on (some even leaked and showed up in
datamation article blaiming me, the authors of network nation from njit
were also brought in as part of the investigation). some version of
toolsrun was then shared with bitnet participants giving rise to early
listserv.

another fall-out was i got a researcher in the back of my office for
nine months that took notes on how i communicated, went with me to
meeting, got copies of all my incoming/outgoing email and logs of all
instant messages. The analysis eventually resulted in a Stanford phd
thesis (joint between computer ai and language) and subsequent papers
and books ... somewhat in the area of computer mediated communication
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#cmc

my first usenet/newsgroup reader back in the late 80s was in emacs ...
and i still do majority of my usenet/newsgroup activity in emacs client.