From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Brian Fraser
Sent: 23 September 2009 16:22
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Sharing Data between SMSPLEXES.

We have 2 SMSPLEXES within a bronze SYSPLEX.

GRS is common to all LPARS, but most everything else is not.

Now we have a new DB2 application coming that will require application datasets
which will be required to be written to from all LPARS in the PLEX.

I've shared volumes before by having a storage group which is written to from
one SMSPLEX being online and in read mode from another plex with no problems,
but for both sides to be able to allocate, write & extend datasets then I'm
wondering if there's any gottchas coming at me.

We can create the same Storage Group on both SMSes and define all the same
volumes within. Of course we need to have procedures in place to ensure that
someone doesn't go adding or removing volumes to one side and not the other.

We also need to make sure that HSM cant migrate datasets from these volumes
because the other HSM wont be able to recall them.

My only real concern, is will it all hang together if/when one of these dsns
goes into extents on another candidate volume.

Will this cause any problems to any LPAR thats not in the SMS that performed
the extend?

Brian

lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the archives at
http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html