Mark,
>>SMS keeps space utilization information for each managed volume in the
communications dataset. By allowing multiple SMSplexes to allocate, extend
and delete datasets on the same volume(s), you will likely get these stats
out of whack. The result would be something like never allocating a dataset
to a given volume because SMS thinks the volume is full (exceeds high
threshold) or tries to allocate a dataset on a volume that does not have
enough space. If I remember correctly, the only way to clear the statistics
was to remove the volume from the SMS configuration, activate the
configuration, add the volume back to the configuration and then active the
configuration.

>I'm pretty sure I tested that also... and it still didn't help.   The only
way I
found was to allocate or delete a dataset on the volume from the SMSplex.

Was the problem in SMS stastics or in the vtoc on the volume? You do have to
turn on the DIRF bit and force an allocation to the volume to get CVAF(?) to
tidy up the vtoc space information on a volume with an indexed vtoc.
Regards,
John