-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Dave Day
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:26 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Ownership of PC routines---what I will do

Has been an interesting discussion.  What I originally wanted to do was
=
to establish a PC routine once, the 1st time my started task came up =
after an IPL.  The same routine could be used by multiple copies of the
=
started task, if the user decided they wanted to or needed to operate =
with more than one copy.  Examination of the control blocks that =
establish and document the PC function in a running z/OS system seems to
=
imply some mechanism to establish ownership of a PC by another address =
space.   For instance, PCAUTH owns LX value 000000.  The MVS diagnosis =
manual contains a table that describes all the PC's that can be entered
=
using that LX.  To me, they do not all logically fit there.   I would =
have thought MASTER for some of them.

So, I will have each started task establish at initialization and tear =
down at termination the same routine.  Will wind up with two or more =
copies of the same code, but will satisfy the requirements of the =
operating system, and keep things 'according to hoyle'.

<SNIP>

Did you think about a subsystem? It can have an INIT routine (used when
the system comes up), and then it can end. IIRC, these will then be
"owned" by the master subsystem (ASCB 1), and available to all address
spaces. Your PC routines would then be in the system for the life of the
IPL...

Just a thought from other days (back in the MVS/SP4/5 days).

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed by this poster may not reflect those of poster's
employer --