On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:56:48 -0500, Jan Vanbrabant wrote:

>But I couldn't dig up what I was looking for:
>will one of the reports display the CPU usage within each module?

Jan,

None of the reports you listed will show CPU consumption
by program, because that information is not collected.
Reported usage for a program will be the same whether
it consumed a CPU minute or a CPU hour.

Now, the reported usage will be different if that CPU
minute (or hour) is spread over one invocation or
one thousand invocations, but only in terms of use
count.  If those thousand invocations are from the
one job, then that only counts as one job using the
program.  This is the sort of situation where the
choice of report may become significant.

[Note that the above is based Dorana/TAD4z whereas
I will not attest to how usage reported by TLCMz is
affected by these illustrative comparisons.  It is possible
that it is slightly different in terms of usage counts.]

You're right that Dorana/TLCMz/TAD4z will report the
use of programs even if they are not named on EXEC
JCL statements.  LLA exits can also do this, but only
for programs fetched from LLA-managed libraries.

I was thinking of a scheme of monitoring CPU time
at the RB level back in the Dorana days if there was
any interest.

There wasn't.

The idea was that the CPU time of an RB would be
accumulated and logged against the name of the program
that the RB pointed to.  Note this this means that CPU
time spent in programs that were simply branched to
would be logged against the programs that branched
to them.

The scheme would have been strictly for TCB mode
only, and so these days may be considered incomplete,
and therefore misleading to some extent.  Still, it
never got beyond the idea stage, so I guess the
technical issues are not a problem.

Cheers,
Greg