This COBOL discussion feels like deja vu. :-)

As a reminder, I am not speaking for IBM.

There have been and are lots of discussions about future COBOL innovations,
both within IBM and with our customers. One of the big ones is how (and
consequently when) to get to 64-bit. I have my own (strong) views on that
question, which I express as often as I can. (And I know I'm right. :-))
But, in all seriousness, there is a rather complex set of factors that have
to be considered on how, and ultimately the relevant voices are customers'.
They decide the "right" answer.

So, I'll say it again: tell IBM what you want and how you want it -- and
what you value most. In particular, there is a tension between innovation
and potential risk. Do you want zero or near-zero risk? Well, then, maybe
IBM shouldn't be so aggressive in innovating. (I'm oversimplifying, but
that's the idea.) Said another way, COBOL (and PL/I) really do run the
mission-critical world, while some of these other languages don't. :-)

Now, I happen to think my recommended approach perfectly combines maximum
innovation with zero or near-zero risk. (I have a "have your cake and eat
it too" idea.) But I don't get to decide these things. You do, subject to
the technical constraints of course. So please speak up, through the proper
channels. Much appreciated. Thanks.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan / Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com