Here's the response from the person that compiled PCRE on z/OS:

I did get Pcre working. From looking at the Pcre dir that I did the work in, I
had to start from scratch with just the C files and H files and created new
make files. I also had to manually create a config.h file, and inside that my
comment says I had to change newline from 0x10 to 0x15. Looks like I was
successful in building the PcreTest program and the libpcre.a library.

Rich Smrcina wrote:
I recall having an email conversation with someone that was working on porting the Hobbit (now Xymon) network systems monitor to z/OS. It has a prereq for PCRE. I'll check with him to see if he got it working.

Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:
In <4acb1a23.4010...@gmail.com>, on 10/06/2009