In some ways, this makes me think of Apple's OS X.  The EULA states that you
cannot install it on non-Apple hardware.  But that's about it.  You can't
"easily" install OS X on a regular PC because PC's use BIOS and all Macs use
a much more modern EFI.  Simply emulating an EFI layer on top of your BIOS
will allow OS X to boot.

IBM enforces their "EULA" by distributing their software in a way that uses
your CPU serial and a license, renewed every year (or so).  In addition,
they refuse to sell you the software if your CPU serial number is not one
that belongs to their mainframe product line.

That's where you cross the thresh-hold and step into anti-trust territory.
They have a 95-99% market share if I had to guess.  This licensing policy is
the difference between keeping that 95-99% market share and being forced to
compete with these other companies, at least in terms of the hardware costs.

It's not the end of the world, but I'm sure some salesmen are aghast at the
idea of having to drive a mere Audi to work instead of a BMW.  If they lose
the margins on their sales, what will the Johnsons think?  They just
installed a walk-in BBQ pit and we're still using gas.  For shame,
government regulators.  For shame.  All that schmoozing to get an MBA and
now you might as well just tear it up.

Scott