Please excuse a slightly off-topic message, but since a number of System z developers tend to follow this group, I thought this would be of general interest.

IBM has just announced the availability of their zPDT (System z Personal Development Tool) to qualifying members of IBM's PartnerWorld for Developers. zPDT is a software based development system that IBM has been using internally for several years and is well tested and proven. It runs on an Intel/Linux platform and can provide one to three processors (CP, IFL, zIIP, or zAAP).

I have teamed up with Stan King, ITC (Information Technology Company, LLC) to help bring zPDT based systems to the development community. We are still in the process of defining the exact configurations, but there will be a mobile (ThinkPad) version, a "Midrange" and a "Enterprise" version. We are not ready to quote any performance numbers yet, but with the current Intel processor line, we expect performance to be very good.

For more information, you can check the ITC web site ( www.p390.com/zpdt.htm ) and the IBM PartnerWorld web site ( www.ibm.com/partnerworld ). If you have any questions, feel free to email me off-list.

Mike Hammock

ITC

mhamm...@p390.com