On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 18:14:38 +0100, Thomas Berg wrote:

>But obviously not a *backward* compatibility problem ?
>And the main problem here, as I have understood the
>discussion, is the limit of 100 bytes through JCL PARM.
>And that is sort of "another format" as I see it.
>
>As the problem is (old?) programs that cannot cope with
>longer parms than 100 bytes, among them IBM module apparently,
>that's the problem that needs to be solved.
>So we cannot avoid a somewhat ugly change of the JCL PARM
>format.

There are two problems.

1.  PARM on the EXEC statement can not be over 100 characters.
2.  Some programs behave poorly and will have problems with a PARM longer
than 100 bytes.

In attempting to solve these problems, we should consider that some programs
work just fine with longer PARMs in the same format as provided by JCL.  We
should not break these programs.

--
Tom Marchant