On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 13:52:35 -0500, Mark Pace <mpac...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I've got some datasets on a volume that are not cataloged anywhere.  I think
>that I deleted a catalog before I deleted the datasets it contained.  I've
>not come up with a way to delete them.  I've tried
>IEHPROGM
> SCRATCH
DSNAME=HISTCAT.DSNDBD.LANDMARK.TDB2SUMM.I0001.A001,           C
>               VOL=3390=STD001,PURGE
>
>IDCAMS
>//DD1  DD DISP=OLD,UNIT=3390,VOL=SER=STD001
> DELETE HISTCAT.DSNDBD.LANDMARK.HISTDABP.I0001.A001 SCRATCH FILE
(DD1)
> DELETE HISTCAT.DSNDBD.LANDMARK.HISTDABP.I0001.A001 PRG NVSAM FILE
(DD1)
> DELETE HISTCAT.DSNDBD.LANDMARK.HISTDABP.I0001.A001     NVR FILE
(DD1)

>All of which basically complain that SMS believes that the dataset is
>cataloged, which it is not.
>
>How can I remove these datasets?
>
>--

Mark - These appear to be DB2 datasets, which are Linear (VSAM).

You were on the right track with the NVR, but that is for a non-vsam record.
What you want is the VVR, like this:

DELETE HISTCAT.DSNDBD.LANDMARK.HISTDABP.I0001.A001 VVR FILE(DD1)

HTH,
Pat L.