Hello,

I just stumbled across "Yours Truly 2095". It was a song by Electric
Light Orchestra. A brief search shows it has been released on the
"Time" album, in 1981.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOBtgVA3iv8&feature=related

lyrics:
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/e/electric+light+orchestra/yours+truly+2095_20045477.html

"I met someone who looks a lot like you
She does the things you do
But she is an IBM."

In fact the whole song is about a fictional product - but the company
is named, and quite real. Unusual for sci fi, where the company is
normally fictitious as well (although sometimes names get retrofitted
to real companies, hello U.S. Robotics).

I just wonder - how did that happen? Was this actually paid for by IBM?

1981 is the year when the original PC was released. IBM was headed to
the mass market, a novelty for it. Perhaps this was an early attempt
of what we now know as viral marketing?

(Or did ELO just do it by themselves? But would not their lawyers be worried?)

A colleague has pointed out that, funnily enough, the 2095 was a
*real* product. The 360/95, very old news by 1981, but most powerful
for its time - they might have read of it in an old source?

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik