It certainly depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  That
"performance
expert" (who lives near me now) never said NO IMP=1; but rather reserve it
for
mission-critical work, short- important transactions, and emergency work.
If you
put a lot of work into IMP=1, there is no UP when you need to get something
done
in a hurry.  If you look at at the IMP levels as a bell curve (or a slightly
skewed
to the right one), WLM seems to do well with a little bit of work in IMP=1,
more in
IMP=2, more to much more in IMP=3, more in IMP=4, and a little in IMP=5.
Remember that
WLM starts at IMP=1 to be sure that work gets done, and moves down to IMP=5
and DISC.
And we're not going to start a war on whether there should or should not be
DISC work.
It is desirable that IMP=1 and 2 have a good PI, and the rest maybe, not so
much.
Also remember, the WLM robs Peter to pay Paul, so you really want work in
all of the IMP
levels.  Of course, this is all IMHO, and your mileage will vary.  This
technique has
worked in all the many sites that I've helped with WLM.

znor...@ca.com