----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Longfellow" <tlongfel...@verizon.net>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 10:30 PM
Subject: Re: DS8700 Feature FlashCopy SE

I have no statistics for how widely it is used.  But I would be surprised
to find out that SE was created on a whim.  It is obviously an attempt to
return a feature lost when IBM retired their RVA line (Snapshot).

I'm also eager to see this feature in action. When IBM dumped STK back in 2000, they promised us virtual architecture in the SHARK and then reneged. It ain't virtual architecture, but it's close. SE FlashCopy should lower costs for DR backup significantly, since you won't have to double your DASD farm anymore just to SnapShot your entire DASD image.

Regards,
Tom Conley