<listserv%200912041334504828.0...@bama.ua.edu>, Tom Marchant
<m42tom-ibmm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 12:01:29 -0700, Frank Swarbrick wrote:
>
>>I'm not the sysprog, so I may not have all of the details, but
>>if I remember correctly these are the issues:
>>
>>We have PDSESHARING(NORMAL) in our IGDSMSxx member,
>>rather than PDSESHARING(EXTENDED).
>>
>>From
> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v1r9/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.z
> os.r9.idad400/pdsesh3.htm
>>
>>"In a multiple-system environment, the system programmer uses
>>PDSESHARING(EXTENDED) to share PDSEs at the member level.
>>A system programmer must specify PDSESHARING(EXTENDED) in
>>the IGDSMSxx member in the SYS1.PARMLIB on each system in
>>the sysplex. Every system that is sharing a PDSE must be a
>>member of the sysplex and have the sysplex coupling facility
>>(XCF) active."
>>
>>We don't have the sysplex, so we're stuck with
>>PDSESHARING(NORMAL).
>>This causes problems when one system has a PDSE open and
>>a second system opens it and tries to update it.  Take for
>>example the following scenario, which I just tested.
>>

> This has been discussed several times.  Please search the archives.  You can
> not share a PDSE outside of a Sysplex.  If you are not in a Sysplex, you can
> not share a PDSE with another system.  If you do so, you can expect the PDSE
> to break.  You quoted the reference. "Every system that is sharing a PDSE
> must be a member of the sysplex and have the sysplex coupling facility (XCF)
> active."

Exactly my point.  Someone asked me why I said we didn't want to use PDSE to
solve my issue and I said because we can't share them well, because we're not
in a Sysplex.

Frank

--

Frank Swarbrick
Applications Architect - Mainframe Applications Development

The information contained in this electronic communication and any document
attached hereto or transmitted herewith is confidential and intended for the
exclusive use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
examination, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
or any part thereof is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail
and destroy this communication.  Thank you.