that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

Anne & Lynn Wheeler <l...@garlic.com> writes:
> the major internal networking technology was able to have "native"
> drivers ... but also install "jes2" drivers for communicating with jes2
> systems (and allow jes2/mvs systems to participate in the internal
> network). this feature evolved into these (non-native) jes2 drives
> adding features to try and rewrite jes2 headers to that they were always
> compatible with the direclty connected jes2/mvs systems (as
> countermeasure to have high frequency of jes2/mvs crashing all over the
> world). the internal technology got blaimed for not preventing the
> hursley mvs systems from crashing (since the internet network technology
> hadn't been upgraded to filter some of the new san jose jes2 fields
> ... from reaching the hursley jes2 systems). misc. past posts mentioning
> hasp, jes2, and/or jes2 networking
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#hasp
>
> dislcaimer: my wife did a stint in the jes group (among other things
> acted as one of the catchers for asp->jes3 ... and did a design document
> for merged jes2/jes3 product) ... before getting con'ed into going to
> pok to be in charge of loosely-coupled architecture.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009q.html#83 Small Server Mob Advantage

I recently reminded my wife about the problem with adverse interaction
between jes2 networking at different release levels (resulting in mvs
system crashes) ... and (infamous) incident with hursley systems
crashing ... and being blamed on vnet. she quoted some chinese proberb if
you ever save somebody ... you are responsible for them for life. she
also mentioned somebody in the jes2 group that may have been primarily
responsible.

I reminded her that a lot of the characteristics of jes2 networking was
inherited from the HASP implementation ... which carried the characters
"TUCC" on the (networking) source code changes.

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970