"In reality, only the first byte of the BB is actually used. Why waste a
byte?"

John...

Maybe IBM wasted a byte to keep the rest of the record at least halfword
aligned, assuming that the record was read into a halfword aligned address
(fullword usually was the case).  On the old boxes, there was a performance
penalty using halfword instructions (LH, STH, AH, SH) on a field that was
not halfword aligned. In the old days, I would always design my records so
that the halfword and fullword fields fell on the proper boundary.

Or maybe the extra byte was "reserved for future use".

Ed...