-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Martin Kline
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:40 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Could DSNAME length restriction be bypassed if catalog allowed longer
ALIAS names?

I'm just throwing this idea on the table, and expect either little interest or
strong opposition. What if catalog support allowed ALIAS names to exceed 44
characters?

First, yes, I did search the archives. Second, Yes I understand the
implications.

The cost and impact of supporting long alias names (though still not small)
would be considerably less than the cost of expanding actual data set names.

I just came up with this before my second cup of coffee, so the idea is still
cooking.

Last time I checked, the impact to IDCAMS and catalog records would mostly
involve relaxing the syntax restrictions. The impact to JCL conversion would
be similar. JCL processing would have to allow for longer names prior to
catalog search, and actual (shorter) names could be stored in places like the
JFCB. Certain SMF records might have to change.

Expanding a little bit, SMS processing could potentially define long names as
aliases automatically and generate actual names using some schema like
temporary name  generation. Doing this would mask the effort of mapping long
and short names from the end user, effectively allowing long names without
any special user changes.

As for a business case to get IBM to implement- oh well. It was just a thought.

As a local business case - There are those twice-a-year instances when users
can't seem to create a meaningful and acceptable name in under 45
characters. So, I guess I won't be creating any usermods today . . . but if I
still had those microfiche . . .

>Subject: Re: IDC3203IITEM 'xxx' DOES NOT ADHERE TO RESTRICTIONS
>From: "McKown, John" <john.mck...@healthmarkets.com>
>Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:10:14 -0600

>Not likely to be done. That would require a complete rewrite of the VTOC.
>The DSN is a 44 byte hardware key in the VTOC. I cannot imagine how IBM
>would ever compatibly change the DSN length. Short of creating an entirely
>new, incompatable, interface where something (perhaps in the record which
>points to the VTOC) indicates that this is a "new VTOC" formatted volume.
>And that would require updates to the entire world. Who's gonna pay? I'd
>rather they support SAN DASD in z/OS (which means FBA).

intended
information.
distribution