that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

Anne & Lynn Wheeler <l...@garlic.com> writes:
> I had done a lot of stuff for cp67 as undergraudate ... that was picked
> up and shipped in the product. For the morph from cp67->vm370 much of
> that was dropped as "simplification". Now, all during the future system
> effort, I continued to do 370 stuff (and ridiculed pieces of the FS
> activity ... which wasn't exactly a career enhancing thing to do, since
> the senior executives were still senior executives after the dust
> cleared). Misc. old email about 370 stuff:
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006v.html#email731212
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750102
> http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750430

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009r.html#49 "Portable" data centers

in the early 80s, I wrote a "open door" about my salary and being
underpayed. After a couple weeks, I got back a written response from HR
saying that they had studied my completely employee history and I was
being payed exactly what I was suppose to.

This was about the time I was being asked to interview new hires
... supposedly to work in a new group under my (technical)
direction. They told me what HR was offering them as starting salaries.
I then wrote I follow-up to HR's response ... pointing out that they
were offering starting salaries to these new hires that was 1/3rd more
than I was currently making.

A couple weeks later I got the first of a series of raises that would
eventually bring me up level to starting salaries that HR was offering
the new hires that I was interviewing. It was (then) fairly obvious that
HR's initial response wasn't true.

old post mentioning being told "never forgive you for being right"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007e.html#48 time spent/day on a computer

misc. recent posts referencing "business ethics is oxymoron", Boyd's "to
be or to do", and/or the "never forgive you for being right" quote:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009.html#53 CROOKS and NANNIES: what would Boyd do?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009b.html#25 The recently revealed excesses of
John Thain, the former CEO of Merrill Lynch, while the firm was receiving $25
Billion in TARP funds makes me sick
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009e.html#37 How do you see ethics playing a role
in your organizations current or past?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009g.html#56 Old-school programming techniques you
probably don't miss
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009h.html#5 mainframe replacement (Z/Journal Does
it Again)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009h.html#71 My Vintage Dream PC
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009h.html#74 My Vintage Dream PC
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009k.html#73 And, 40 years of IBM midrange
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009o.html#47 U.S. begins inquiry of IBM in
mainframe market
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009o.html#52 Revisiting CHARACTER and BUSINESS
ETHICS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009o.html#57 U.S. begins inquiry of IBM in
mainframe market
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#34 big iron mainframe vs. x86 servers
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#60 MasPar compiler and simulator
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009q.html#37 The 50th Anniversary of the Legendary
IBM 1401
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009q.html#38 The 50th Anniversary of the Legendary
IBM 1401
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009r.html#6 Have you ever though about taking a
sabbatical?

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970