Is there any way to reconcile CA1, OAM, and the 3494-B10's view of tape
volumes? I'm not talking about using CTSSYNC. I can write a report in EARL
which will list each volume and whether it is scratch ro not. I can do a LISTC
on the TCDB (SYS1.VOLCAT.VGENERAL et al.) and then write a program to read that
to produce a similar report. But I cannot figure out any way to unload the
3494-B10's internal database of tape volumes and their statuses.

Why do I want to do this? Because all hell has broken loose here with our
3494-B10. I use its Web interface to do an Inventory, then do a "Request
Inventory Upload". After doing this a D SMS,LIB(...),DETAIL shows over 12,000
scratches. I had been around 400. This is what I expect. Within 5 minutes, it
is back to 400. I cannot figure out what the hell is going on. Yes, IBM
hardware support has been called. My boss did that last night. I don't yet know
the results, except that it cannot be fixed yet because the scratch count is
still wrong.

The 3494-B10 is attached to a 3854. The 3854 is shared between z/OS and the
distributed platform. It has been, IMO, a piece of diseased excrement from day
one.

John McKown
Systems Engineer IV
IT

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell