There is no such concept for UNIX file. For a TEXT file, each line can
be an arbitrary length, terminated with a x'15'. If you need to copy it,
you just must "know" what the maximum possible line length would be,
probably based on knowing the nature of the program which created it.
You can determine it with a small program which reads the file (I'd use
either Perl or REXX, personally).

#!/usr/bin/perl
lrecl=0;
while (<>) {
        chomp; # remove end-of-line character(s)
        reclen=length($_); #get length of current line
        lrecl = reclen unless lrecl > reclen; #update lrecl, if
necessary
}
print "Maximum record read was $reclen bytes"

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its'
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.