I would never automatically assume that consolidation equals Linux on
System z. Consolidation to z/OS is also quite popular. Or, said another
way, if you're a new z/OS customer then by definition (and automatically)
you're probably enjoying huge consolidation benefits. We sometimes forget
that and/or take it for granted.

I don't know exactly how many frames BC Card is installing, but I can make
a safe bet: to support the same (or more) workloads it'll be far fewer
machines. This is z/OS we're talking about here, and you just don't need
many machines. A couple (in Parallel Sysplex) at the primary site plus one
at the DR site is a very nice installation indeed -- and can grow to be
enormous (in workload terms) without increasing the machine count.

For some background reading, here's an article I wrote entitled "How Many
Mainframes Do You Need?"

http://mainframe.typepad.com/blog/2009/03/how-many-mainframes-do-you-need.html

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan / Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com