On Oct 13, 2005, at 4:00 AM, Randy Hudson wrote:

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Ed Gould <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
------------------- SNIP-------------------------------------------------- I wonder if the CCW chain could be processed fast enough that much of the reversing could be done with the Chain Data flag and appropriate destination addresses. In the days when we actually wrote channel programs, we could do
a lot with them; for example, a PCI could allow the program to start
validating the early data while the check was only partially read,
substantially widening the stacker-select window.

Randy,

I still remember in those days the POPS for each model had the " micro seconds" each instruction took. My memory is sketchy and after the document was read you had X (I don't remember) many microseconds to make a decision as to which bin you could send the document to.

The POPS indicated how many ms each instruction took. Any time a decision was to be made we had to calculate a total for the path length so we didn't miss the window. Its been ages so I don't remember a lot but I don't remember when you decided to send it to bin 0 (example) how long it took for the selection to happen. I am sure it was documented somewhere, I just don't remember as it was 30+ years ago.

Maybe someone with a better memory can pipe up with more explicit detail than I can provide.

I still cannot believe that IBM would come up with a machine like that. That was the only machine that I ever worked on that the timimg was so critical.

Ed