I used the CDO to upgrade from 1.2 to 1.6 recently and it was very simple. I
ordered it over ShopzSeries and ti arrived in a few days. Luckily we are
running under VM so I just read the documentation which comes with it (quite
a slim book), created a new VM guest with the correct devices and IPL'ed
from tape. The system was up and running in a couple of hours. From this
system I then installed the 1.6 system. Probably luckier than most our
system has nothing on it that I needed to migrate as there is only 1 TSO
user (me) as its only used for EE. This means I just copied over the data
from the 1.2 system onto the 1.6 that I needed (JCL, VTAM and TCP/IP
definitions) and we were up and running in 2 days (kind of as the 1.6 system
crashed after a couple of hours in production. Still working on that!)

Sebastian.