I found this note in the Init and Tuning Guide (z/OS V1.9) under CONSOLxx

The system pins UCBs for console devices defined in CONSOLxx at IPL time, and
the UCBs are only unpinned when a console definition is removed using the
console removal definition service, which may be invoked using the IEARELCN
sample program that resides in SYS1.SAMPLIB. This means that to delete a
console device with HCD, an IPL is required, unless the console definition is
deleted using IEARELCN

Hope this helps.