On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 21:41:06 +0000, Ted MacNEIL <eamacn...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>>There's no right or wrong here about who's responsibility it is or was.
>
>For storage management, I disagree.
>
>You do not have applications applying maintenance to DB2, or z/OS.
>You do not have apps submitting production jobs.

I was talking about test / development.  I do agree that for anything
production or required for a disaster (this could include a lot of development
data), then storage management should be the gate keeper.  But for
test data, unless you have a policy and resources to backup "everything that
spins on disk and everything created to tape", then I don't see a problem
with the application folks deciding on their own if it is important enough
to back up.  In many shops, the amount of test data is equal to or greater
than the amount of production data.

Either way, both sides need to set and agree to the rules.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com