IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu> wrote on 01/01/2010
07:27:20 PM:
 Mainframe Discussion List

> In article <listserv%201001011105537168.0...@bama.ua.edu> you wrote:
> > On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 08:41:53 -0800, Edward Jaffe wrote:
> > >
> > >The z/OS RSM developers introduced functionality to allow Java to
> > >acquire storage within the previously "thick" bar for performance
reasons.

> > I would guess, economy in page and segment tables?

   I was told that compressed pointers for storage below 32GB fit
into a smaller space, so more compressed pointers fit in a cache
line, leading to more effective cache utilization.  Performance is
all about the caches these days.  I am not a Java person.  I don't
know what a compressed pointer is.

> > I'm still intrigued that the (undocumented) option's name
> > contains the substring "32G".  Is 32GiB the size of a particular
> > granule in 64-bit storage management?  Or might the "32" refer
> > to a fictitious "32-bit" addressing capability?

  The range from 2GB to 32GB is set aside for a particular intended
user, which is the JVM.

> At some release 64-bit LE moved the CAA and other control blocks from
> starting at 4G to 32G.

  I doubt that LE changed anything.  Due to the RSM change, IARV64
is returning an address of 32GB instead of 4GB when LE creates the
first memory object in the address space.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY