One thing that, IMO, is keeping JCL in business is shear inertia. Too many
times I've had people, especially programmers, resist doing any "unnecessary"
clean up of JCL. IMO, all COND processing should be done with the new
IF/ELSE/ENDIF construct. But I can't even get them to write new JCL using this,
much less convert old JCL ("It works and it's too much trouble to change, test,
and run through change control.") They keep cutting and pasting old JCL into
new JCL. The same with the newer constructs in COBOL. They like to cut and
paste (supposedly) working code.

Relative to this is the internal control blocks created via JCL need to stay
the same, or very similar. Why? We couldn't use the new if CA-11 doesn't
support it. That is why we don't use UNIX and REXX stuff. CA-11 doesn't support
restarting complex shell scripts or REXX programs. I guess doing that would
require something akin to checkpoint restart for compiled programs. And who
uses that???

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell

<snip>