From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Scott
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 12:09 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: PCI and Auditors perceptions thereof

The way FTPS (FTP+TLS) works is that you connect on port 21, issuing the
"STARTTLS" command (or some such).  You then perform your handshake over an
encrypted channel.

FTP requires the use of ports 20 (data) and 21 (control).  Though, in
practice, 21 is the important port as the one used for data is often
negotiated to something above 1024, as well as the new port used by the
control channel.

>From that point, you may issue commands to increase or decrease the level of
encryption as you see fit.  If you experience firewall issues, you often
need to have your control channel transmit "in the clear" so your firewall
can observe it and dynamically open ports on demand.

You may also drop out of encryption for the data channel, which will
increase the speed of transmission and reduce the load on your CPU.  The
unfortunate side effect, however, is that I will kill you in your sleep for
doing that.

I haven't bothered to look into the TELNET side of things because I only use
it for 3270 and within our private network.

- Scott

intended
information.
distribution