>If DISP=MOD would work for SYSMDUMP, I could figure out
>how to split the dumps by processing the file with REXX
>or some such.
>[snip]
>So the SYSMDUMP just can't handle this level of complexity.

It can! We're using just this: SYSMDUMP with DISP=(MOD,CALTG).
Unfortunately, IPCS will not tell you there is more than one dump
in the dataset but just starts working on the first one.

Although not so straightforward a process, IPCS helps you to
handle the multi-dump dataset case:

o go to Utility -> Copydump and enter your SYSMDUMP dsn on the
  first input data set list name field. Leave out all other fields
  except SKIP where you enter EOF.

  on the next panel, put a slash at output data set -> nullfile and
  hit enter. IPCS will report on all dumps found like this (I
  deleted the message number in the display for brevity):

  Dump 1 - Title=JOBNAME MA0APVS STEPNAME MA0APVS SYSTEM 0C4
  Dump 1 is being skipped
  131,809 records 548,325,440 bytes, skipped
  Dump 2 - Title=JOBNAME MA0APVS STEPNAME MA0APVS SYSTEM 0C4
  Dump 2 is being skipped
  131,501 records 547,044,160 bytes, skipped
  End of input data set reached

o Next you do the same again but this time specify the number of
  dumps to skip and provide an output dataset name plus space
  information (number of records per dump is listed above).

o Third, you start looking at the desired dump.

--
Peter Hunkeler
Credit Suisse