On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 13:30:23 -0500, Don Williams wrote:

>It would nice if z/OS would let you rename an active LNKLST set or let you
>create new versions kind of like GDGs.

You can't rename an existing LNKLST set, but you can create your new LNKLST
set with a new name.  I see that you name yours LNKLST.  You have 16
characters available for the name.  Surely you could come up with a new name
to indicate that it is the new version.

>Correct, cycling LLA is usually not needed. The only case that I've found
>were is seems to be needed is when moving a library already in linklist to a
>new volume without renaming that data set (For example, when enlarging a
>data set which requires it to be moved to a new volume with more space). LLA
>seems to have problem with recognizing that the volser changed and the
>allocation to the old volume remains.

You should *never* move an active LNKLST data set.  The manual gives a
lengthy description of how to proceed when this kind of action is needed.

>I wish IBM would enumerate the conditions which could cause a crash, rather
>than blindly say use at your own risk.

IIRC, any time a module is being loaded from LNKLST, the LOAD could fail,
depending upon the timing of the UPDATE and the LOAD.  To enumerate all of
the possible failures in IBM code that could occur if a LOAD fails would
likely be a very long list.

--
Tom Marchant