From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of T. M. Ioia
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2010 9:00 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: 3592 standalone drives at DR Site

Hi all,

We just recently started using a 3494 ATL with 3592 drives in our data
center.  We are also creating our DR tapes using the tape library and
ejecting
the tapes to send to off-site storage.

At our DR site, we do not have a 3494 ATL tape library but we have
stand-
alone 3592 drives.

I'm having trouble deciding how to best set up our DR recovery process.

Can I maintain the same addresses, for example 600-603 and just change
the
LIBRARY  YES to LIBRARY NO and MTL NO to MTL YES in the device
definitions
using HCD?

I have a feeling I'm going to run into trouble with SMS by doing this.
Do I
have to create a new MTL definition, storage classes, storage groups,
etc.

Initially, we just want to restore the system at the DR site using the
3592
tape drives.  Longer term, as we utilize the 3494 more and more, we will
want
to be able to run jobs that think they have a tape library available.

Ideally and conceptually, what I would like to do, is operate in ATL
mode at
our data center and in MTL mode at the DR site, with the least amount of

reconfiguration as possible.

I have no way of testing this before going to the DR site.  All of our
3592
drives are in the 3494, no standalone drives.  I thought I could define
one of
the 3592 as part of an MTL, but it wouldn't let me bring it on-line
because the
system knows that it is inside the ATL

Any ideas?

Thanks.

This e-mail message and any attachments transmitted with it are confidential
and are intended solely for the use of its authorized recipient(s). If you are
not an intended or authorized recipient, you are hereby notified that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the
information contained in this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this
message in error or are not authorized to receive it, please immediately notify
the sender and delete the original message and all copies of it from your
computer.