In the TAPEUTILIZATION operand of the SETSYS command, you can specify more than
100% (apparently designed for situations just like this).

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Adams, Tracy
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 1:00 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: HSM, 3490s and a VTL

I would like to confirm my thoughts here...

We just installed this cool device to allow Z/OS talk to a "open
systems" VTL.  They wanted me to gen device types of tape that we knew
would never be used any where else so it was recommended by the VTL
vendor that we use 3490.  I did that on the Z/OS side.  On the VTL side
they are 3490 devices but using 10 GB tape sizes (similar to the 3590J
tapes we currently use).  For DFDSS jobs this works fine... unit=3490
and I can put 20 GB compressed on a single tape.  Now HSM gets switched
over to migrate to the 3490 devices.  He starts writing to a tape and
bingo, at 300mb he marks the tape full and requests another scratch
tape.  On the VTL side it is only 3% used but no big deal, it is only
virtual.  So my question is does HSM simply keep track of data written
so it can manage how full it believes the tape is and since 3490 tapes
are old (very old) their capacity was 300 mb so that is all it will
right?

If this is the case, I see my two options as A. x30 my number of tapes
in the VTL or B. change the device type to something HSM thinks will
hold more data.