<snip>
We had a problem with a system with not enough page space defined.  I remember
discussions a long time ago on IBM-Main saying that if you have local page
datasets of differing sizes, that you will never use all of the space on the
larger page datasets if you add a larger page dataset.  Is that still true?  We
have 3 locals and the PLPA and Common all allocated on the same 3390 Mod 3
pack.  We just added a 4th page dataset that is a whole 3390
volume.  Obviously, slightly larger than all the other locals.

We actually had to IPL the system, as one of the locals went over 80% full, and
the system wouldn't allow address space create.  Since we IPL'd with the same 3
page datasets, one of the locals is already at 59% full.  We page added the 4th
dataset after the system was up, and it is still at 0%.
</snip>

Generally, ASM will utilize the page datasets equally, so if they differ in
size, the smaller one's will have a higher percent utilization. It sounds like
you only had one local at the time. When it reached the 80% threshold, address
space creation was stopped. The smallest local PAGEDS is the "control".

The fact that the 4th dataset is at 0% indicated the pages on aux storage are
from long term tasks (e.g. dfHSM).
Where the task is up for days/months at a time. Usually, this has been the
SMF30 records being retained for eventual write to SMF. It also indicates that
there is not much pressure on real storage.

All of that being said, my recommendation would be to have at least 2 locals of
"nearly equal size". The first local would be specified in IEASYSxx and the
second would be included via a PAGEADD in COMMNDxx. This will occur early
enough in the IPL that both locals will be used equally.

The local PAGEds's should be sized so that the max slot utilization does not
exceed 30% on any individual dataset. This defeat the "block paging" algorithm
and reduces the efficiency of ASM.

HTH,