I should probably ask this question on a TCP/IP forum, but I figured I would try here first to see if anyone knows...

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/F1A1F170/2.1 shows the textual representation of an IPv6 address.

It turns out to be a fair amount of code to do optimal compression of the IPv6 address. (In this content, "optimal" means to find the longest group of contiguous zeros to substitute with the double colon.) It's also not an insignificant amount of code to decompress and convert the text form to binary.

It's hard for me to believe that each IPv6 application is expected to "roll its own" IPv6 address compression and decompression logic. Yet, when looking at the books, I have not yet found a service that does this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc