Indeed you can: we're working on a homegrown solution that does
just that: pull the output from the spool with SDSF REXX then wrap the
output in some simple XML and store it in PDSEs.  HSM will manage the
PDSEs--a control table determines what management class to use for
each report.  The resulting data is served via the web with the HTTP
server with the MVSDS which can be secured via RACF so that you
need access rights to the PDSE to be able to view the report.  The web-
front end is a JavaScript program that runs in the browser and is also
served up by the HTTP server.  So everything stays on z/OS and is
managed on z/OS with native z/OS functions.

The major issues we've run into creating this:
1) Very, very large reports can be a bit problematic--we have one
report that's somewhere around 1GB.  Being able to handle that large
of a report required making some compromises in that we only
download the reports to the PC in 1,000 page chunks--which impacts
local searching and printing.

2) This only works well for pure text reports, not AFP.  Even so
handling the control characters is a bit tricky as REXX SDSF doesn't
currently tell you the CC method for each file on the spool, although
you can find it by chasing through the relevant control blocks.

3) Reprinting on a local printer also required a little bit of JS work, but I
think we have that working well now.  We have not explored reprinting
the whole thing on a MF-attached printer directly from the UI because
it's not clear that we have that as a user requirement.  We can easily
re-transform back to a MF flat file though.

So rolling your own is possible, but not without some work.

Scott Chapman
AEP