While the 6500 is an IPDS printer, it does not support downloadable fonts.
Instead, it uses
built-in (resident) fonts, called symbol sets. For this reason, you can't use a
barcode font;
the 6500 has no built-in barcode fonts. However, IBM long ago designed a
barcode
architecture into AFP where the printer creates barcodes from simple AFP
commands. You
describe the barcode type, size and position, and the printer prints a barcode
optimized for
readability for the type of printer. This makes barcodes independent of printer
resolution
and of fonts.

You can easily tell the printer to create a barcode such as Postnet using a
PAGEDEF. See
the PPFA User's Guide, S544-5284-09, and look for the PAGEDEF FIELD subcommand.
Here
is an example:

        PRINTLINE                     /* CITY, STATE ZIP  */
          REPEAT 1;
          FIELD START 1 LENGTH 41
            FONT NAD
            POSITION 0.1 IN NEXT;
          FIELD START 33 LENGTH 5
            POSITION 4.5 IN NEXT
            BARCODE TYPE POSTNET ;    /* PRINT POSTNET BARCODE */

You can also create structured fields to generate barcodes.

Howard Turetzky
Advanced Technical Support
InfoPrint Solutions Company
howard.turet...@infoprint.com