>I wonder about doing something "hinkey" in OPEN. OPEN can open multiple
>DCBs in a single SVC. So, I wonder if it does it them sequentially. If so, I
>wonder if it would be possible to dynamically add my DCBs onto the end of
>the list. Probably not something that would be long term viable.

Since the environment may be a little sticky for issuing a secondary OPEN
SVC, how about altering the SVC return address in the RB (I think) so it
returns to your code but in the user's original state? The subsystem code
could first gather all the info it needs and put pointers into the user's ACB
or
DCB. Then when the original OPEN SVC returns, finish up with the secondary
OPEN calls, fix up the ACB or DCB, and finally return to the actual user's SVC
return address. Subsequent PUTs or WRITEs branch to your code, which does
its thing. Handle the CLOSE SVC like the OPEN. I'm not sure about the
environment during termination processing though (abend or exit without doing
close), so the CLOSE code may still have to check for that situation.