I have an old STK tape system ( ten 9840's in 3490 emulation mode inside a
9740. Each drive ESCON point to point) , that will hopefully go away but

I have an issue with HSM dump running longer than expected. The problem
appears disconnect time. During the HSM dumps, we're using four drives for
two DumpClasses and most other stuff is stopped (some FTPs will come in).
No other tasks or LPAR is using any tape drive. Cpu is in the low 20%
range, DASD service time is around 4 ms  and DASD rate is around 50 and
tape rate is around 600.

One set of tape drives (1 tape for each of the two DumpClasses) has an RMF
average disconnect time of .84 and the other set of drives has an average
disconnect time of .06. This translates into a difference of 40k SIO in a
15 minute interval. This disparity will last for almost an hour, then the
high disconnect time goes away (still using the same four tapes and
drives).   SMF21 doesn't indicate any Erase Gaps or temporary errors which
I know causes high disconnect times.

Jack Kelly
202-502-2390 (Office)