A similar topic:

entry points in SYSUDUMPs Save Area Trace can have a message attached,
containing, for example, function names, compile dates etc.,
if the machine codes at the entry are coded in the right way.

That is, Branch, one byte length field, the message.

Our home grown start macro (and many others at other installations, as I'm sure)
make use of this.

But the compilers generate function prologues without these instructions,
although it would be very easy (and helpful to the customers), if they would do otherwise. With some minor changes, the life of the software developers could
be so much easier ...

Sorry about that

Bernd

McKown, John schrieb:
What if R13 has been destroyed somehow? You can do forward chaining by starting at TCBFSA to the first save area, then using the pointer in word 3 of the save areas to chain forward until it is zero. That is what the SYSUDUMP formatter does. But I do agree that the forward chain is not always reliable. It is for every compiled language that I'm aware of. But it depends on the HLASM programmer following the convention if there is any assembler along the line.