that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net (Shmuel Metz  , Seymour J.) writes:
> There are no group owners. Usenet is a distributed network implemented by
> autonomous peers; the admin of each news server runs it in accordance with
> his local policy. See RFC 3977 and 5537.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010c.html#31 Posts missing from ibm-main on google
groups

as mentioned in this post ... there seems to have been several usenet
problems about the time of reports of wierd SSL attacks:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010c.html#47 Extracting STDOUT data from USS

Besides missing posts on usenet ... during the period, I was also
getting sporadic wierd characteristic attempting to (SSL) connect to my
usenet server (time-outs, connection drops, long outages when couldn't
connect, reading email connected fine ... but unable to post, things
appearing to post ... and then not showing up, etc).

Usenet started out based on UUCP protocol. these were a lot of
sporadically dialup connections ... which would transfer accumulated
email and other stuff ... like usenet news ... some refs:
http://www.uucp.org/history/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUCP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_UsenetOverviewHistoryandStandards-3.htm

while the internal network ... some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internalnet

was larger than the arpanet/internet from just about the beginning until
possibly late '85 or early '86. One of the major contributors to
internet exceeding size of internal network at that time ... was
appearance of workstations & PCs as network nodes ... while on the
internal network ... these machines were restricted to terminal
emulation ... misc. past posts mentioning terminal emulation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#emulation

a listing of approx. nodes sometime 1985 (aka "VNET" was internal
network)

BITNET    435
ARPAnet  1155
CSnet     104 (excluding ARPAnet overlap)
VNET     1650
EasyNet  4200
UUCP     6000
USENET   1150 (excluding UUCP nodes)

... snip ...

I had gotten blamed for computer conferencing on the internal network in
the late 70s and early 80s. There was then an "official" facility
deployed on the internal network called "TOOLSRUN" ... that could
operate either in USENET mode or mailing list mode.

Later, there was something similar deployed on BITNET supporting just
mailing list mode ... historical reference:
http://www.lsoft.com/products/listserv-history.asp

BITNET used somewhat similar technology as was used on the internal
network (and ibm-main mailing list originated on BITNET) ... misc.
past posts mentioning BITNET (and/or EARN ... bitnet outside US)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#bitnet

USENET also was distributed over other media. For a time there was
special modem that received USENET over unused part of broadcast TV
signal. There was also service that broadcast USENET over satellite.  In
1993, I did device driver for a number of platforms (dos/windows, a
couple different unixes) for such a service ... along with article in
boardwatch (BBS industry mag) ... and got free dish/modem/service
... old posts (with picture of me in backyard with R/O satellite dish):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001h.html#66 UUCP email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005l.html#20 Newsgroups (Was Another OS/390 to
z/OS 1.4 migration
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009j.html#19 Another one bites the dust
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009l.html#21 Disksize history question

during the 90s, majority of USENET moved off of other distribution media
to tcp/ip and the internet. from my rfc index:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcietff.htm

click on "Term (term->RFC#)" in the "RFCs listed by" section, then
click on "NNTP" in the "Acronym fastpath" section:

network news transfer protocol (NNTP )
 4644 4643 4642 3977 2980 977

then there is:

1036 -
 Standard for interchange of USENET messages, Adams R., Horton M.,
 1987/12/01 (19pp) (.txt=45825) (Obsoleted by 5536) (Obsoletes 850)
 (Ref'ed By 1468, 1554, 1580, 1630, 1700, 1738, 1842, 1922, 1945, 2068,
 2076, 2110, 2557, 2616, 2924, 2980, 3864, 3977, 4707, 5064, 5536, 5537)

also, some number of the BITNET mailing lists created distribution
gateway to USENET (usually just one direction, i.e. outbound traffic
only) ... distributed email simulating USENET post in the usenet
bit.listserv hiearchy. GOOGLE supports two-way gateway between USENET
and google groups ... aka (old bitnet) mailing list gatewayed to USENET
bit.listserv hierarchy then gatewayed to google groups.

As mentioned ... during the wierd SSL attack period ... I was seeing
strange operation connecting to USENET server ... so I suspect that
the various gateways also were seeing strange behavior.

misc. past posts mentioning TOOLSRUN
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001c.html#5 what makes a cpu fast
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006r.html#11 Was FORTRAN buggy?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006r.html#16 Was FORTRAN buggy?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#35 Top versus bottom posting was Re: IBM
sues maker of Intel-based Mainframe clones
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006y.html#10 Why so little parallelism?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007.html#23 How to write a full-screen Rexx
debugger?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007b.html#7 information utility
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007b.html#31 IBMLink 2000 Finding ESO levels
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007b.html#32 IBMLink 2000 Finding ESO levels
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007b.html#55 IBMLink 2000 Finding ESO levels
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007j.html#70 Using rexx to send an email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007p.html#30 Newsweek article--baby boomers and
computers
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008i.html#48 Anyone know of some good internet
Listserv's?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008o.html#46 Anyone still have access to VMTOOLS
and TEXTTOOLS?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008o.html#49 Discussions areas, private message
silos, and how far we've come since 199x
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008o.html#61 Discussions areas, private message
silos, and how far we've come since 199x
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008p.html#12 Discussions areas, private message
silos, and how far we've come since 199x
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008p.html#13 "Telecommunications" from '85
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008q.html#37 BITNET & LISTSERV
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008q.html#45 Usenet - Dead? Why?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009g.html#14 Top 10 Cybersecurity Threats for
2009, will they cause creation of highly-secure Corporate-wide Intranets?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009j.html#79 Timeline: The evolution of online
communities
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009k.html#6 Timeline: The evolution of online
communities
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009m.html#55 Tell me something about how you use
signature files!
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009o.html#38 U.S. house decommissions its last
mainframe, saves $730,000
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#52 Mainframe Hacking
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#84 Anyone going to Supercomputers '09 in
Portland?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009q.html#4 Arpanet
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009q.html#17 toolsrun
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009s.html#12 user group meetings
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010.html#7 CAPS Fantasia
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010b.html#36 Happy DEC-10 Day

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970