You mean you want more than two different screen sizes? That is not
particularily a TSO restriction, it is a 3270 data stream restriction. A
3270 can only have two different screen sized, based on the 3270
architecture. There is the "normal" size (usually, but not necessarily
24x80) which is "switched to" with the ERASE/WRITE command. There is the
"alternate" size (whatever is specified in the emulator/VTAM BIND image)
which is "switched to" with the ERASE/WRITE ALTERNATE command.

In order to have "n" different screen sizes would be a horrendous
challange to TSO and VTAM as well. First, IBM would need to implement a
new "write" command (WRITE/ERASE SELECT SIZE or something like that).
But then they'd need to update the defination of LU type 2 in VTAM to
handle "n" possible screen sizes. Now TSO must keep track of the various
possible screen sizes and select the "most appropriate" one. Oh, the
TN3270E defination and emulators would need to be updated to support
this as well. And always remember that the 3270 data stream does __NOT__
tell how to position the current write location using x,y coordinates.
It uses "buffer addresses" which are basically "number of bytes from the
beginning of the screen image". The TN3270E emulator converts whese to
actual x,y positions on the screen.

This would be very expensive for a "dying" technology. If it were me,
I'd be looking at something to totally replace TSO. Oh, wait, that is
WSED (or whatever it is called now).

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its'
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.