David,

Many moons ago (maybe DFSORT 1.7) the recommended total SORTWK space was 1.7
times the input file size. I've noted how using Hiperspace and Dataspace
reduces the sortwk space used, and I'm wondering if your 10% recommendation
is based on Sort being able to use an optimal amount of memory.

If so, would you recommend a larger value for SORTWK space on memory
constrained system, or where customers have hobbled sort's memory in the
ways that are often discussed on this list? In other words, is 110% good
enough if sort chooses the smallest dynamic memory options.

Some questions on your SORTWK performance tests: Does CFW on/off affect the
impact when many SORTWK datasets are allocated (I'm assuming you mean 16 or
more), and does the difference between 4 and many SORTWK change in any way
when there is an intermediate merge?

And a query: is the recommendation of 4 SORTWK good up to a particular size.
I'm interested in that point because four SORTWK would be limited to about
17K CYLS total.

Ron

Behalf Of

<outbind://92-000000000C19A532C55CD94285A5E250EF9EC5A7445E7B00/www.dino-soft