"Hardee, Charles H" <charles.har...@ca.com>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
02/16/2010 09:39 PM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
cc

Subject
Re: What was old is new again (water chilled)

Yeah.... this is the bigger "wow!" for me.  I didn't realize they had been
out so long, but I knew that PC manufacturers (gaming machines for the
most part, I think) put out water/liquid cooled PC's.  It always amazes me
how the PC hardware and software industries pooh-pooh the mainframe for
all it's worth and then, all of the sudden (with the least amount of
fanfare possible; lest they be forced to eat their words) you see some
hardware or software "thing" that you remember from some 3084 or 3090
complex a long time ago.  This liquid cooling of gaming machines and
"virtualization" (VM) come to mind right away as good examples of what I'm
talking about.

That said, I really can't wait to see one of these liquid cooled gaming
machines.  My stepson is getting one soon and I'm very curious to see how
it's put together.  Especially given that I was working 2nd shift Ops one
time when the main output of one of our chillers busted and about 250
gallons of water pumped out under the floor before the alarms went off and
I could stop the bleeding.  Not that this could happen to the gaming
machine, but it's just that I have a sadistically warm spot in my heart
for chillers.  ;-)

Scott T. Harder
Mainframe Services, Inc.
Naples, FL

> If you really want to twist the knife with those PC weenies, point them
> here:
> http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g30/Liquid_Cooling.html?id=rWHp49Wp
> I can't say that it's water cooling, but this is one of many suppliers
> of liquid
> cooling add-ons for the PC, and they've been available for many years
> now.

<snip>

<FONT size=2><BR>
DTCC DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and any
attachments from your system. The recipient should check this email
and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The company
accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted
by this email.</FONT>