The AFP Toolkit is an (old) API that was replaced by the nearly-as-old AFP
Toolbox. The
Windows version is a no-charge, unsupported download, but the z/OS version is a
priced
program product. In either case, I don't think it's what you want. Since it's
an API, you
need to write a program to create print files or overlays.

The best no-cost tool is the AFP Print Driver for Windows
(http://bit.ly/afFGI). Despite
it's name, it's not a printer driver. It instead creates AFP files. You can use
any application
you wish to create your overlays, then print using the Driver (it installs as a
Windows print
driver). Select Properties from the print dialog and set Output type to Overlay
or Medium
Overlay. It will prompt for a file name. If your overlay contains text, it's
best to use text
that is mapped to an AFP font so you will get text in your overlay instead of
an image of
text. See the README file for more information.

Upload your overlay as binary, and run the AFP Reblocking utility
(http://bit.ly/AFRREBLK),
a free REXX exec that converts your binary upload into an AFP resources on z/OS.

Note: if you are able to attend the upcoming Xplor Conference, we are teaching
an 8-
session CEU class that will cover, among many other things, how to make your
own
overlays using an AFP print driver.

Howard Turetzky
Advanced Technical Support
InfoPrint Solutions Company
howard.turet...@infoprint.com

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 23:06:06 +0000, Linda Mooney <linda.lst...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Greetings All,
>

>We are unable to purchase due to serious budget issues.
>

>I am looking for a WYSIWYG freeware or open source tool to build AFP resources
>with.
We have PSF, but not InfoPrint.  Up until now we have just written OGL, but
now we
need to look for a tool.  It would be fine for it to run either on z or on a
PC or Linux .

>I downloaded and installed AFP Workbench for Windows Free Version 2.05.04.01,
>but I
don't see any build support, just view and print.  Something that would help
us generate
the OGL faster and more accurately would be really helpful.