On 2/22/2010 9:15 PM, Charles Mills wrote:
<rant>
Many of the IBM-supplied storage definition macros and copy members have
gained PRINT OFF statements over the years. As a result I had the
infuriating situation of having an assembly that was generating an RC=8 but
with no error messages in the listing. I was getting more and more
frustrated and actually considered taking about 5 system macros and making
private copies of them sans the PRINT OFF statements. I had the brighter
idea of adding a SYSTERM DD statement and the error message there gave me
enough of a clue as to what the problem was and I was able to correct it.
</rant>

Two observations - I've been using SYSTERM since it first became available, and was upset that IBM set up the matching assembly PROCs with SYSPRINT first - I changed that, and while watching output on the printer, the SYSTERM message was sometimes adequate to cancel the rest of the printout.

A more general method to handle your problem would be to stick a PRINT OPSYN COM at the beginning of the program. Assuming your installation has not customized PRINT to OFF or NOGEN, this will act as PRINT ON,GEN,DATA.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT