Paul

> Generally, one end of an FTP connection is called a "server" and the other is
called a "client". Please unconfuse me.

I guess the confusion arises because any computer that doesn't sit on or
under someone's desk can be called a "server" - and I can date this semantic
distortion to an exchange I had about 12 years ago. I got very irritated -
situation normal! - when the security folk started calling the RS/6000
machines which I used for teaching "servers". I replied - probably much to
their confusion - that there were no "servers" in the room!!!

In fact these machines were in a classroom rather than in an office and that
was probably the criterion used by these poor deluded folk rather than the
presence of a desk.

Chris Mason