>I know the specific macro that caused (or rather, obscured) my
>problem was IEFJFCBN, but there were at least two or three others with
the
>same "feature" -- perhaps one was CVT.

I had presumed you were talking about non-mapping macros.  IEFJFCBN and
CVT and many others simply default to LIST=NO which is what many coders
desire. (and that is a default that could not compatibly be changed ). You
can easily override that default.  I know of no shipped mapping macro that
doesn't let you get its fields listed. If there are any, maybe we could
get those changed if they are brought to our attention.

But I'm confused about what problem those LIST=NO macros obscure.  No
error messages are expected within those macros. One case I can come up
with is if you had incorrectly included the macro twice, or had a variable
(earlier in your module) of the same name so that there were duplicate
names, and that was the error being produced.

What error messages were obscured due to your (default) use of  LIST=NO?

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design