On 10/18/2005 4:26 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
CMS, like TSO, has a nearly forgotten line-oriented modal editor.
CMS EXEC, like CLIST, supported that modal editor.  EXEC 2 and later
CMS Rexx, like TSO Rexx, abandoned support for modal commands.  I
sorely miss this facility in Rexx.

The "address TSO" host command environment, new in z/OS 1.4 Rexx
for Unix Services (check the revision bars) is very nearly such
a modal command environment.

Does the TSO security model, such as it is, preclude wider use
of modal commands or the development of modal commands by users?

I see no relationship between modality and security, so I would have to say no, it doesn't.

If you see some relationship that I don't, please explain further. Perhaps you're considering something to be "security" that I don't.

        Walt Farrell, CISSP
        z/OS Security Design, IBM