David,

>I always thought a null configuration was what you got if there was no IGDSMSxx
>member, that's what I remember from one-pack systems but I cannot test it now.

I think that is just not running/starting SMS. Is this an option anymore?
Running SMS with a null configuration is running with an empty linear vsam
dataset as your ACDS. Running SMS with a minimum configuration was as Mark
described it earlier. IBM initially recommended running with a null
configuration if you were not going to use any of the features. That was
changed to run with a minimum configuration later. I have a special SMS with
minimum configuration used with our emergency two pack system.
Regards,
John